civil engineering HOD
Nirmal Kumar Dhir
Superintending Engineer (Retd.)
Head of Department, Civil Engineering
- Masters in Civil Engineering ( Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering)from GNEC, Ludhiana, Punjab University, Chandigarh, 1999
- B. Sc. Engg (Civil) Hons. from GNEC, Ludhiana, Punjab University, Chandigarh, 1978
Having a Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering with more than 37 years of experience in the field of Water Supply, Sanitation and Environmental Engineering with analytic & academic bent of mind he recently retired as Superintending Engineer from Govt. Deptt. He is a successful Civil Engineer professional with proven, consistent track record of more than three decades of Serving in Water Supply & Sanitation Deptt. A finely honed strategic & analytic sense makes him a value-added and innovative solution-provider, combined with the proven ability to strategize to successful in time completion of targeted projects. His experience is extensive & diverse: conceiving, planning, designing & execution of Multifaceted Engineering Projects which include water supply & sewerage schemes of cities, towns & villages which includes hydraulic & structural design of various components of water supply and sewerage schemes with expertise in designing of water treatment plants & sewage treatment plants as well as over head service reservoirs. Structural design & execution of multistory buildings,Industrial Focal Points, 150 Bedded ESI Hospital, Stadia (both indoor & outdoor ), Bus Stands & multistory Housing Complex. His academic Interests made him to write & present Technical Papers in various National & International Seminars getting acclaim for his technical Presentations both at state level as well as at national level. He Joined WCTM as PROFESSOR & Head Civil Engineering Deptt.in Feb., 2016 . Apart from perfuming routine duties of Head of Deptt., he is teaching B.Tech & M.tech students & has so far guided 12 students in their M.Tech.Thesis in the last one year
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- Fellow Indian Water Works Association
- Member American Concrete Institute Indian Chapter
- Member Indian Association of Soil & Water Conservation
- Member of Indian Society of Technical Education
- Oct. 15- Nov 30,1984 (45 days) Short term course of designing & execution of Waste Water Treatment Plants of Cities & Towns at IIT Mumbai funded by Govt. of India.
- January 7-13, 1997 (7 days) Annual Convention of Indian Water Works Association at Calcutta funded by State Government.
- April 7-13, 1998 (7 days) Annual Convention of Indian Water Works Association at Chandigarh funded by State Government.
- January 4 -11, 2005 (7days) Annual Convention of Indian Water Works Association at Hyderabad. Indian Water Works Association funded by State Government.
- August 8, 2008 (1 day) Interactive Workshop on Procurement Procedures Sh. Shivendra Kumar, Consultant Proc., World Bank, New Delhi funded by World Bank Aided PRWSS Project.
- Member Indian Delegation-Represented India at SACOSAN-3 at New Delhi from 16-21 Nov.2008.
- January 20-24, 2009 (5 days) Training on World Bank Procurement Procedures SPMC through M/s Crown Agents (India) Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, Consultants World Bank Aided PRWSS Project.
- July 13-17, 2009 (5 days) training on Monitoring and Evaluation for Results at Washington DC. USA, Funded by World Bank Aided PRWSS Project
- Member Indian Delegation- Represented India at SACOSAN-4 AT COLOMBO, SRI LANKA FROM 4-7 APRIL.2011
- Member Indian Delegation – to study Water Supply and Sanitation Practices in BRAZIL IN NOVEMBER 2010 (20 days).
TECHNICAL PAPERS AND AWARDS
- Written and presented Six technical papers in various conferences
- One of my paper, Titled ‘Performance Evaluations of Common Effluent Treatment Plant’ was awarded the Hindustan Dorr Oliver prize by Indian Water Works Associations in the year 1998.
- My presentation on Results Frame Work documents was adjudged First in the State level conference held on 23 & 24 May 2010 in MGSIPA, Chandigarh by Cabinet Secretariat Government of India.
- Presented paper on Evaluation of 24x7 Water Supply of multi- village Water Supply Schemes ( CASE STUDY) in National Workshop on “SUSTAINABLE WATER SUPPLY & SANITATION SERVICES organised by World Bank from 15th to 17th December, 2011 at Chandigarh.
- PRESENTED TWO PAPERS IN SOUTH ASIA REGIONAL CONFERENCE ON RURAL WATER SUPPLY AND SANITATION TOWARDS LONG TERM SUSTAINABILITY AT KATHMANDU NEPAL held on10 to 12 OCTOBER 2012.
- Presented paper on Evaluation of Running & Maintenance of Water Supply Schemes of A GROUP OF 21 Villages of Morinda Block on PP mode (CASE STUDY) in National Workshop on “ Public Private Partnership in Rural Water Supply & Sanitation Sector” organised by World Bank on 24th May,2013 at Chandigarh.